How To: Christmas Fruit Hanging Decorations
Tired of glossy baubles and cheap tinsel? Try making a more traditional Christmas decoration this festive season! Here's a step-by-step guide to making your own Christmas Fruit Hanging Decorations. Perfect for hanging from the branch of your tree, from your mantelpiece, or from a door handle!
What you will need:
• Selection of fruit (red apple, orange, grapefruit, Persimmon, lemon, lime, clementine)
• Cinnamon Sticks, Star Anise, Whole Cloves
• String or Raffia
• Chopping board
• Baking trays
• Baking paper
• Wire rack
Drying the fruit:
1. Set your oven to 140®c/Gas Mark 1
2. Line the baking trays with baking paper.
3. Slice the various fruit into thin slices (about 1cm thick)
4. Stud with the whole cloves.
5. Put in the oven and cook on a low heat for about 4 hours or when the fruit looks slightly darker and dried out.
6. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
1. Make holes in the middle of the fruit for the string to go through.
2. Using the string or raffia tie the cinnamons stick and make a knot.
3. Arrange the fruit how you like on the string; one star anise apart.
4. When you are happy with your design finish off with another cinnamon stick.
5. For hanging create a loop knot with the string just about the cinnamon stick.
And there you have it! A traditional hanging decoration, full of hand made charm; perfect for freshening up any room in your home! For more Christmassy makes, visit our Countdown to Christmas.